The party had a pirate theme and Tina, the birthday boy's mom, pulled out all the stops. She spray-painted shoeboxes (donated by ME, thank you very much) and adorned them with fake jewels to resemble treasure chests, and each party guest was given a pirate name. Tyler was dubbed "Thievin' Tyler Truelove" (the last name embarrassed him) and Sawyer became "Stutterin' Sawyer Speedwell." Pretty cute, huh?
As I was putting Sawyer to bed on Thursday night I asked him if he enjoyed the party, and he told me all about his new name and showed me his treasure box, but then his face turned dark and he said that "Tyler hit me with his sword ON PURPOSE!" (I found out later that all the boys were swashbuckling so I think Sawyer was being overly sensitive!) I must admit I wasn't awfully sympathetic, because my first question to Sawyer was, "When Tyler hit you did you make a ruckus?" Sawyer rolled his eyes at me and kind of huffed and said, "Mom . . ." and then he said, "Wait a minute, what's a ruckus?" Trying another tack, I said, "Did you make a scene?" Strike two--"What's a scene?"
It's so funny when we have conversations like this and I have to remember that my kids aren't familiar with all the "turns of phrase" that we throw around so glibly. I still remember when Tyler was about Sawyer's age and we were taking a walk during which he was taking his sweet time. I said, "Tyler, will you pick up the pace, please?" I still remember he literally looked around on both sides of him and said, "What pace?"

4 comments:
Arr! Ahoy to ye young lads from Gentleman Jonah Jenkins. We had a good time thanks to the help of our fair wenches who helped put it together for Cap'n Grant! Thank ye all and Fair winds to ye!
Hey Mastro! Do you know a pirate's favorite letter of the alphabet? Arrrrr! Favorite state? Arrrrrkansas! Favorite subject in school? Arrrrrithmetic! Okay, I'll stop now.
One more . . . pirate's favorite fast food restaurant? Arrrrrby's! Okay, I'm really done.
Post a Comment