This week Darcy and Tyler were given the assignment of writing a short story from the point of view of a gold nugget in San Francisco ca. 1849. They both brainstormed about what a gold nugget would see, hear, smell, taste and touch (the object was to personify the gold nugget) and I was very pleased with both of their finished assignments. Tyler's was written slightly more for comic effect but as long as he's writing and having fun, who am I to complain?! Darcy's story, while also quite funny (I thought), was well thought-out and only switched tenses a couple of times! Here is her offering, exactly as she wrote it:
I'm a gold nugget. I live in San Francisco, California. I'm deep down in the dirt waiting to be found. *Yawn* This is sooo boring. I wish I had already been found. Then I could see exciting things! Road agents, horses, auctions, auctioneers! All I see here is dirt. Well, and my golden friends. I've been here for about, thousands of years! Hellooo-ooo! I'm thousands of years away from being found anyway. Shi! Shi! SHI! SHI! Wait, listen . . . miners! Finally, I've been fou--SHING! OW, MY HEAD! I heard voices up above, "Hey, I think I hit something!" "Well, then, dig it up!" "Hey guys, I think we've been found!" I said to my buddies. Suddenly, a shovel burst through the dirt! "Hooray!" we shouted. The miner scooped up a shovel-full of gold, which had me in it. "Yes!" I cried. We came up into an opening. Wow! San Francisco was amazing! There were shops, auctions, auctioneers, horses and riders, and lots of other things. We were put into a buckskin pouch on the belt of the miner, who had said, "This is a mighty fine day to find gold. Yee-haw!" We went to the restaurant to eat (well, the miners did) and the hotel we slept at was the only one in town. Later that morning, we got up and got a passage to Peru, where the miner lived. (He had a very fine hat, I may say.) We got in a stage coach to get to the ship that would take us there. Suddenly, road agents rode up on horses and ordered everyone to get out. Before he got out the miner strapped all us gold into his hat. When we got out the road agents took all our coats and jewelry, but they didn't want hats. So we were safe. We went to Peru with the miner and lived happily ever after. THE END.
Can you say "sequel"?!
Friday, August 10, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment