Thursday, August 9, 2007

Grumpy Old Men

Remember that movie a few years ago with Walter Matthau and Jack Lemmon? That's what Randy and Tyler remind me of right now!

Tuesday afternoon one of our brothers from church, Herman Atzenhoefer, took Randy and the kids tubing/water-skiing at Deer Creek. They had been looking forward to this trip for a long time and the kids were absolutely champing at the bit to get out on the water. And when all was said and done, they had a fantastic time and of course are raring to go again. But I'll you what, I've never heard such moaning and groaning from Tyler and Randy before, both of them complaining and trying to "out-do" the other in terms of how SORE they are! It strikes me as a little funny that someone would be so eager to do something that causes so much obvious misery!

The girls and Sawyer weren't quite as adventurous as Tyler was (though I did hear that they got knocked off their tubes a time or two!) so they don't have any aches or pains to show for their efforts. But you get a bunch of Y chromosomes together on a lake and suddenly it becomes a competition to see who's the toughest! Tyler is complaining of neck, back and arm pain--funny, that's just what Randy's complaining of!

Tyler tried water-skiing for the first time--I am so proud of him--but he was using "adult" skis and he said they were ultra-heavy so he basically did a face plant in the water the first time he tried to pull up. I'm sure that was a sight to see--he cracked himself up just trying to tell me about it! Chuck Ream went with our little band of misfits and apparently took pictures so hopefully I'll be able to post some eventually.

Sawyer, for his part, rode in the "lap of luxury"--literally--each time he got out on the water. Since he was too small to hold on to the tube alone, he bobbed along on Randy's lap each time it was his turn. It only got sticky when Sawyer wanted Randy to cross both arms over his (Sawyer's) chest--"Hey bud, I have to hold on to the tube with something!"

No comments: