Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Life Begins at 40

My kids cannot keep a secret. Scratch that--PEYTON cannot keep a secret. Perhaps that is why Randy decided to withhold information from the kids this evening, information pertaining to a certain birthday party, a SURPRISE birthday party. Yes, today is/was the big day. The big 4-0. How does 40 feel, you ask? Pretty much like 39 so far. Unbeknownst to me, Randy e-mailed pretty much everyone at Southwestern for whom he has an e-mail address and invited them to stay for cake and ice cream after Bible study tonight. Apparently several people wondered if I was really surprised and the answer is a resounding YES. I had no hint, no whiff of anything out of the ordinary. I did ask Randy not to announce my birthday in the auditorium; I said I would be embarrassed. Yes, his way was much less embarrassing!

The appearance of a friend tonight on the occasion of my birthday put me in mind of a surprise that was sprung on Randy and me a number of years ago. First let me explain about tonight, and then I'll fill you in on what happened earlier.

A dear friend of mine who shall remain nameless to protect her identity came to church tonight after being away for a while. When she sat down next to me I whispered, "To what do we owe the pleasure of seeing you tonight?" She just laughed and said, "Oh, I guess I didn't have anything better to do." I chuckled at her little "joke" but my attention was diverted when Bible class started.

After class was over, Randy announced, "Don't forget cake and ice cream in the Fellowship Room." My friend then said, "Now do you wonder why I'm here?!" It was all so similar to an incident that occurred back when we lived in Tennessee and Randy was preaching for a little congregation in Winchester. I forget how many years we'd been there--maybe three or four--but as far as I was concerned this particular Sunday was just like any other Sunday, with the exception that my parents had come from Kansas City to visit for the week, and would be worshipping with us that day. Everything progressed normally, but it seems like no sooner had we arrived at the church building than I saw Randy's family--mom, dad, brother and sister-in-law--walk in the church doors. Naturally my jaw dropped open and I asked what in the world they were doing there. I think at the time I really believed Randy's mom was there because she knew my folks were in town and wanted to visit with them herself! Never, NEVER did it occur to me that this was anything more than coincidence. (Perhaps this is a good time to point out that although my blonde hair is now "artificial," I really was born a towhead!!)

Fast forward to the "potluck" we were supposed to have after services. Turns out this particular Sunday had been dubbed "Randy and Andrea Appreciation Day" and I never had a clue!! The fellowship building had been decorated, a lot of really good food had been prepared, a ton of people had some really nice things to say about us, and cash had even been collected for a money tree! I think when it was all said and done, my mom was APPALLED that I hadn't caught on that SOMETHING was up when Randy's folks came walking in. Hey listen, "Gullible" is my middle name!

A quick P.S.: Thanks to everyone for all the birthday wishes--it's been a great day!

5 comments:

Kelly said...

Happy Birthday!!! I am hooked to your blog. You are so funny. I was inspired to start a blog of my own. I am one to call 10 people to tell one really funny story but by the end is not that funny. This is a good way to keep everyone updated. We plan on having a very busy year. Maddi and Jackson going to school, taking Maddi's wish trip and a very big surgery. I am sure there will be a few surprises down the road too. Hope it was a wonderful day and sorry I mised it.

Andrea said...

Kelly, you are really good for my ego! I am so excited to hear about YOUR blog, though! Of all people, you have enough going in your life to never have a dull entry! I can't imagine how many times you must tell people about medical updates and procedures, as well as just some of the crazy things your kids do! I have known a couple of people in the past who blogged on a hospital care site (they had family members in for long-term care) and I know it helped them to be able to put information out there ONCE and know that everybody was being updated. Please let me know your blog address when you are up and running and I'll be one of your first visitors!

Firewyvern said...

Andrea, click on her name in the comments which will take you to her profile. At the bottom of the profile is the link to her blog.

Andrea said...

Thanks for the tip. I didn't even notice that her name was highlighted in the comments section. So I guess it follows that if I can link to HER blog, I can link to YOURS, too! You're a lurker no more! But your secret is safe with me!

Firewyvern said...

i knew that would give you a helpful hint when i told you how to find kelly's blog. i do appreciate the secrecy thing as even though my blog right now is mostly what's going on in the kids lives it may at some point become "diary-like".