Alright, I know you've all been just breathless with anticipation, wondering how the new school schedule has been working out. In fact, I'll bet some of you even placed bets as to how long I could hold out before going back to my old ways. C'mon, admit it . . . you did, didn't you?! Well, you're a winner! We have scrapped "afternoon school" and have gone back to starting (most of the time) at 9:00 a.m. (Don't tell my kids, but we're about to bump it back to 8:30 a.m., which means NO MORE SLEEPING IN, DARCY!)
That's not to say that the "Sawyer-less" schedule was a big bust. It's simply that Sawyer has turned out to be much more accommodating than I suppose I expected he would be, so we've been able to get our work done (for the most part) with him right alongside us. He is very into imaginative play so if he's got his box of cars or bag of rubber bugs or other assorted aquatic/farm/prehistoric creatures, he is content to play with those while listening to our lessons. I kid you not, almost two weeks later he is still chanting, "Onomatopoeia!" And let's face it, I am TIRED in the afternoon! I told you I would be! I don't want to be starting school when we should be wrapping up! What was I thinking???
The thing is, no matter how you slice it, with 3 (and a half) students to work with, there is a lot of ground to cover so even if we start at 9:00 a.m., we are still working until 2:30 or 3:00 in the afternoon. And we haven't even added in Math or Science yet! The kids are all doing fine in math, not struggling or anything, so I decided to get a few weeks (probably four) of Sonlight-only schoolwork under our belts before adding in math, science, a foreign language, typing, etc. That will easily add another 45 minutes to an hour on some days (though math is the only one of those four that I believe has to be covered daily--the others can be done every other day, in my opinion).
So, for all of you out there who have been itching to say, "I told you so!" . . . bring it on. I can take it!
Tuesday, August 7, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment