I think I have referred to this already, but on Saturday I participated in a women's event at church called the "Vineyard Sisters Conference." It was the brainchild of one of our women's ministry coordinators last year, and for now it is an annual thing. I wasn't here for the conference last year since we didn't arrive in Texas until December, so I didn't know much about it. But this year, I was asked to lead one of the break-out groups that would convene twice during the course of the day for approximately one-and-a-half hours. Oh, and the speaker asked me to introduce her.
Have I mentioned I don't like standing up in front of people?
Thinking about and planning for Saturday was like orchestrating my biggest nightmare, which is probably hysterical to those of you reading this blog for whom public speaking is a snap. I do not count myself among that number. I despise having attention called to me. I detest it. (This is why, if I hadn't with my very own eyes seen Sawyer emerge from my body, I would totally think he was adopted.)
But the truth is, I also embraced the opportunity, not to make the introduction (that was still nerve-wracking--where was I supposed to put my hands??!), but to lead the break-out group because I have been giving serious thought to transitioning out of the children's education program and into teaching ladies' Bible classes. Well, maybe I'll teach half and half. I don't know yet--I'm still kind of waiting for a word from God on that.
I didn't receive the material for which I was to be a facilitator until last Sunday, and if you read my last entry then you know that last week wasn't a cakewalk for me. Lots going on, not much prep time, plenty of opportunity for stress to creep in. And creep it did. But I prayed aloud all the way to the church building Saturday morning and really did feel a peace about the whole thing.
And man, did God come through big time! He gave me the best group of ladies--so encouraging, so supportive, and so talkative!! The whole thing just flowed and I felt very comfortable in my role. This might seem rather trivial to you but taking this step was HUGE for me, and I'm so grateful that God saw fit to make my first foray into adult teaching so successful. I'm already mulling over a couple of studies that I am hoping to take to our Education Coordinator for consideration in the near future. I am committed to teaching my fourth grade class through February so I still have plenty of time to be thinking and praying about it. If you are so inclined, I would welcome your prayers as well!
Sunday, October 19, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment