Thursday, October 30, 2008

A "Flagrent" Mistake


Yesterday, unbeknownst to Darcy, the 5th grade Spelling Bee was scheduled. How she missed that detail is a mystery, but it could be due to the fact that she has been pretty sick lately and has been preoccupied with other things like, say, not suffocating in her sleep, coughing without actually bringing up a lung . . . you know, minor issues like that.

She missed school on Tuesday and I finally took her to the doctor yesterday morning where she received her initiation into the Asthmatics Club (we have three members in good standing in this club, with one membership pending approval), and I dropped her off at school at about 10:30. I found out later that the Spelling Bee took place before lunch and Darcy eats at 12:00, which says to me that she pretty much walked in and was told to take her spot. I can't necessarily say that she brought her "A" Game with her.

When I picked her up at 3:30 yesterday afternoon she said in a rather dramatic voice, "Well, you're looking at the most disappointed girl in the world." I asked her what it was that had her so disappointed and she told me about the surprise Spelling Bee. She told me that she was eliminated with (I think) four people left, and three of those go on to the ACSI contest (including one of her classmates from church--go Blake!). So, as you can see, she was thisclose. I asked her what word knocked her out and she said it was the word "flagrant."

"The worst of it is, I know how to spell "flagrant!" Oh Darcy, my sweet girl, I feel your pain.

I told Darcy a story from my Spelling Bee days, and find it amusing that of all the memories I have lost or locked away, this one should still be so fresh in my mind. I was in the 6th grade, vying for the title of Spelling Bee Champion at Dallas Christian in Mesquite, TX. The 8th grader who was pretty much pegged as the foregone winner of the contest was competing for his last time, and I was determined to steal his glory. I was nervous, SO nervous, but I was a great speller and I was brimming with confidence. (Or was it pride?)

Tensions were running high, and I wasn't the only one with nerves that night. I remember that a kid standing only a foot or so from me locked his knees and literally tumbled off the stage and on to a person sitting in the front row. Yikes! Sadly, he was done for the evening. And every other speller was eventually picked off until there were only two spellers left--yours truly and Mr. Don't Even Think About It.

I stepped to the mic and listened to the word that would ultimately be my undoing: "Macrame." Has there ever been a word as easy as "macrame"??? I totally had it in the bag! But this is what came out of my mouth: "M-A-C-R-E-M-E." Now for all you spelling bee aficionados, you are well aware of the rule stating that once a letter has left your lips, you may not take it back. Who made up that stupid rule??

And so my grand plans for knocking the Spelling Bee King off his throne were thwarted, and my dreams were dashed. Okay, maybe not, but it makes a good story, doesn't it? So this was the story I told Darcy as we drove home in the van, and we had a good laugh over it. See, Darcy was bested by that vile "e" just as I was when she misspoke and spelled out "F-L-A-G-R-E-N-T." Seems more than just the ability to spell well runs in our family!

1 comment:

amy said...

Aw, yay for Darcy though!! My flagr-e-nt mistake was "neighborhood". That blasted "I before e, except after c, and when sounded as a between "NEIGHBOR" and weigh..". Stupid phonics.