Maybe there really is something to the premise of that book, Men Are from Mars, Women Are from Venus (at least I think that was the title--if not, I'm real close). Problem is, I didn't read the book so I don't know with any specificity (don't you love that word? It's like reciprocity or felicity--it just rolls off the tongue!) what differences the author alleges to exist between males and females. I just know that in my family, there is a BIG difference between the males and the females!
Consider the following: Almost a month ago, Tyler had to start wearing those cross-cut rubber bands on his braces. And don't tell me you don't remember that post, because I went into great detail about it (then again, when do I NOT go into great detail?)! The orthodontist's assistant made a valiant attempt to teach Tyler how to install the rubber bands himself (after all, if he were not homeschooled, he would not have his mom around to help him every time a band snapped), but he just couldn't seem to manage it. And I've got to say, the first couple of days around our house played out like a comedy of errors every time I went to place those rubber bands--I'd have my hand shoved inside Tyler's mouth, trying to hook the rubber band around the tiny prongs, all the while fighting off Tyler's invading tongue, and then I'd take this little plastic hook and have to s-t-r-e-t-c-h the rubber band up to the holder on top--yuck. As Tyler gradually got the feel of things, he graduated from only needing me to hook the rubber bands on the lower prongs, until finally he was able to do the entire procedure himself. Hallelujah!
Now contrast that with Darcy's experience: She emerged from her orthodontist's appointment yesterday with the dreaded rubber bands in her mouth, and she was NOT happy about it. She hated the offending prongs that picked her tongue and she hated that she couldn't get the rubber bands in by herself! In fact, not surprisingly, that was the reason why she was teary-eyed when she first met me coming out of the exam room--the technician had tried just as unsuccessfully to show Darcy how to place the rubber bands but Darcy was having difficulty. Actually, though, it wasn't as hard for Darcy--the tech said that if she put the bands around the prongs for her, Darcy was able to hook them to the top with no problem.
So, do you think Darcy was content to settle for my assistance? If you answered "yes," you don't know Darcy very well! Anything worth doing is worth doing with no help from anyone else whatsoever! She has had this independent, can-do streak from the moment she was born! It's so funny--little things that you would think she would accept help with (like putting on a bracelet with a tricky clasp, for example), she would just as soon master for herself. As soon as we got home she was at the bathroom mirror, working and working until she had mastered the ability to put her rubber bands in herself. I have never once considered Darcy to be a "strong-willed child," but when it comes to doing things for herself, the label certainly applies. This is one girl who's never going to need a man to change a tire for her, I'll bet you that!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment