Thursday, October 4, 2007

What a Coincidence

Interestingly enough, I came across three misspellings today, and none were in my kids' schoolwork! In a freakish coincidence, two of the misspellings were homophones (words pronounced the same but spelled differently).

Appallingly, I caught the first two misspellings in my homeschool curriculum, in the very same sentence! Read this: "His nose was pealing just like a chicken looses its feathers." Perhaps I place more importance on correct spelling than a lot of people--I can't help it. I've always loved to spell (I got that from my mom) and it's just my "thing," but it seems that a publisher passing itself off as an educational authority ought to know the difference between "pealing" and "peeling" (assuming these were not typographical errors, which I doubt).

Later, I was reading a novel and was shocked to read that "the doorbell peeled downstairs." Come on, people! Where are your editors??? And what are the odds that I would come across two misspelled homophones on the same day? While we're at it, since when did "peel" and "peal" join the ranks of the most commonly misspelled words in America? Sadly, "looses" didn't surprise me--I'm quite sure it IS on the most commonly misspelled words list.

Does it drive anybody else crazy to see misspelled words in the newspaper, in magazines, on fliers (alt. spelling - "flyers"), or in books? Or is it just me?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Did you misspell IS or was that a typo?

Andrea said...

Definitely a typo! Sorta lost its punch, though, didn't it?! I actually thought about how funny it would be if I made a spelling error while ranting about spelling errors! Maybe there's something to this whole DBS thing!

Anonymous said...

What's DBS?

Andrea said...

Refer back to my post entitled "Could It Be?" for an explanation.

Anonymous said...

Have you heard from your brother-in-law after your "Could It Be?" post?

Andrea said...

No I haven't, but then I don't think he even reads my blog!