I can smell the controversy already! I had an interesting conversation with Sawyer this morning (and to be honest, when are conversations with Sawyer NOT interesting?). As I was helping him to get dressed for the day, I reminded him that tonight is Bible class night and that Miss Bonnie would again be using Veggie Tales to teach. It's really neat--we're not talking about popping in a VT video and checking out; no, there is now an actual curriculum that the makers of Veggie Tales have put together for use in Bible classes. That's not the best part, though. The best part is how Miss Bonnie went all-out, above and beyond the call of duty and made lots of VT "embellishments" to enhance the learning experience. I suppose if your kid doesn't like Veggie Tales it would be lost on him/her, but Sawyer is a fan so he loves walking into his classroom each week and seeing all the VT stuff adorning the walls. But I digress . . .
So this morning as I issued my reminder, he made what I thought was a seemingly random comment. He said, "We really need a piano." I said, "Oh buddy, I would LOVE to get a piano." Hearing my enthusiasm, Sawyer pressed on: "Remember the piano we saw at church?" Umm, that's not us, kid. "No, wait, not at church . . . where was that? Oh, it was in Texas!" Thinking he meant the monster keyboard at my brother and sister-in-law's house, I said, "Oh, you mean Uncle Brian and Aunt Jamie's piano?" "Nooo . . . oh yeah, it was at the HOSPITAL!" I started to say, "I don't think you'll find a piano in a hospital . . ." but then it hit me--3-4 weeks ago when we went to see Grandma Phyllis' husband, Jim, in the hospital, sure enough, there in the lobby was a pianist entertaining the Sunday crowds. So I said, "Oh, right! We did see a piano in the hospital!" And Sawyer triumphantly said, "Yeah! We need a piano just like that in my class so I can play it for everyone!" Hmm, what would our elders think?!
Wednesday, October 3, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Grant has a small keyboard on a stand with a stool. I could set it up in Sawyer's class for his entertainment. We may not be able to come back to church at all, but it would be worth seeing Sawyer's face light up and his little fingers pounding (as I'm sure he would do) on the black and white keys. -T
How funny would that be?!! You know, preachers' kids are famous for being controversial--most people would probably look at him pounding away and go, "Yep, it figures."
Post a Comment